Purchase one-time access:Academic and Personal
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- ‘Hypothesis generation and the co-ordination of theory and evidence in novice diagnostic reasoning’.Medical Decision Making. 1993; 13: 198-211
- Problem Based Learning: An approach to medical education. Springer Publishing Company, New York1980
- From Novice to Expert: Excellence and power in clinical practice. Addison-Wesley Publishing Co., 1984
- ‘The mind's eye in chess’.in: Chase WG Visual Information Processing. Academic Press, 1973
- ‘Hypothesis-oriented algorithms’.Physical Therapy. 1989; 69: 559-564
- Medical Problem Solving: An analysis of clinical reasoning. Harvard University Press, Cambridge, Massachusetts1978
- ‘The nature of exceptional performance’.in: Life Span Development and Behaviour. vol 10. Lawrence Erlbaum, Hillsdale, New Jersey1990: 187-217
- Protocol Analysis: Verbal reports as data. MIT Press, Cambridge, Massachusetts1984
- ‘Some cognitive components of the diagnostic thinking process’.British Journal of Educational Psychology. 1982; 52: 64-76
- ‘Overview’.in: Chi MTH Glaser R Farr MJ The Nature of Expertise. Lawrence Erlbaum, Hillsdale, New Jersey1988: xv-xxciii
- ‘Medical problem-solving: Some questionable assumptions’.Medical Education. 1985; 19: 95-100
- ‘Fostering the acquisition of clinical reasoning skills’.New Zealand Journal of Physiotherapy. 1990; 18: 13-17
- ‘Two dogmas of educational research’.Educational Researcher. 1985; 14: 10-18
- ‘Against the quantitative-qualitative incompatibility thesis of dogmas die hard’.Educational Researcher. 1988; 17: 10-16
- ‘Attribute dimensions that distinguish master and novice physical therapy clinicans in orthopaedic settings’.Physical Therapy. 1992; 72: 711-722
- ‘Expert practice in physical therapy’.Physical Therapy. 2000; 80: 28-43
- ‘Clinical reasoning in manual therapy’.Physical Therapy. 1992; 72: 875-884
- ‘Clinical reasoning in physiotherapy’.in: Higgs J Jones M Clinical Reasoning in the Health Professions. Butterworth Heinemann, Oxford1995 (chap 6.)
- ‘Expertise in diagnostic reasoning: A comparative study’.British Journal of Therapy and Rehabilitation. 1998; 5: 78-87
- Peripheral Manipulation. 3rd edn. Butterworth Heinemann, Oxford1993
- ‘What is clinical reasoning?’.American Journal of Occupational Therapy. 1991; 45: 979-986
- Human Problem Solving. Prentice Hall, London1972
- ‘Knowledge based solution strategies in medical reasoning’.Cognitive Science. 1986; 10: 91-116
- ‘The general and specific nature of medical expertise: A critical look’.in: Ericsson KA Smith J Towards a General Theory of Expertise. Cambridge University Press, 1991
- ‘Clinical reasoning process in physical therapy’.Physical Therapy. 1985; 65: 924-928
- ‘Hypothesis generation in the clinical reasoning behaviour of manual therapists’.Journal of Physiotherapy Education. 1997; 11: 40-45
- ‘Clinical reasoning in occupational therapy: Idiosyncrasies in content and process’.British Journal of Occupational Therapy. 1996; 59: 372-376
- Doing Qualitative Research: A practical handbook. Sage, London2000
Thomas-Edding D (1987). ‘Clinical problem solving in physical therapy and its implications for curriculum development’, Proceedings of the Tenth International Congress of the World Confederation for Physical Therapy, May 17-22, Sydney, Australia, pages 100-104.
- Case Study Research: Design and methods, Applied social research methods series. vol 5. Sage, London1994 2nd edn.
- ‘Physical therapy diagnosis: Role and function’.Physical Therapy. 1989; 69: 535-537
This paper is an adaptation of a presentation made to the CSP Congress, October 8-19, 1999, Birmingham.